Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thing 3

How might a blog support the work you do? How might you use a blog with students? How might they respond to a blog assignment? What concerns do you have about educational blogging?

Right now I know I'm only using my class website and blogs for the simplest purposes (links to class notes, daily schedules, homework assignment listings, etc), and I still don't think many students take advantage of it.

Ideally, I would like to use the class website to extend learning outside the school day. I could probably implement a blog assignment in one or two of my classes, but most of my students lack the basic skills and resources to take advantage of such and assignment.

From the personal blogging aspect of things, I've had to take many precautions to keep my online presence private from my students. The simplest idea is to censor myself in what I write online, whether I think anyone is reading or not. I can also lock blog posts to prevent the public from seeing them, but search engines love to catch things like that and hold on to them.

I used to keep a blog detailing my experiences with the teacher certification process, but I abandoned it after I realized that all I did was complain. Anyone who's been through the process knows its flaws, and I wasn't adding much of substance to the discussion.

I know there are better uses of the technology out there and I'm looking forward to learning them.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a good point about keeping personal blog writing private. These are issues that we all must become aware of when utilizing these tools. Good post.

    ReplyDelete