Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thing 5

RSS can be a difficult concept for some to grasp right away - what questions do you have? What didn't work or doesn't make sense? How might you use RSS in your personal or professional life? Find anything in your searching that you'd recommend to others?

I've been using Bloglines for a few weeks now and I think it's finally grown on me. The biggest gripe I have is that not every site I read regularly uses RSS, and even some that do only provide links to the updates (the updates themselves do not get fed into an aggregator like Bloglines).

Professionally, I could use RSS to keep me up to date on education related blogs I read. Or, I could have the students use RSS to follow the newsletter blog on the class website. It's a fairly simple and straightforward technology to use, so I'm confident the students could manage it. Bloglines is a good choice because it's not something that needs to be downloaded, so students that use a public computer like at the library can still take advantage of it.

I haven't found anything of great value yet, mostly just comics and entertainment sites I read, but I would readily share anything I found if I felt others could use it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad it makes sense and that you're starting to see the benefits. It can be challenging for some. Well done.

    ReplyDelete